Monday, November 8, 2010

My linguistically finest moment so far

The foreign police in Prague is known for being the one place where no one speaks English, long lines, and unpleasant employees.

Needless to say, when I had to change my address, it wasn't exactly something I was looking forward too. Especially after hearing horror story from two other fellow American's recently. One girl waited in line for 5 hours without actually getting anything accomplished. And they both said they had to go all the way to this office on the edge of Prague, early in the morning. Apparently, they just changed the old policy where everyone goes to the main office (nice building, long hours) to a new one where the section of Prague in which you live dictates which office you go to. But both of these ladies live in Prague 3, and I live in Prague 7. So I thought I would try my luck and venture to the main office after work today.

It just so happens that I lucked out and my new place of residence dis qualify me to change my address at the main office (the one with long hours, and therefore, no lines).

I did it all by myself and entirely in Czech. It was very pleasant, and took me about 15 minutes. There wasn't even any angry pointing, frustrated gesticulating, or eye-rolling. I was swelling with pride.

The meeting with my landlord to get him to sign the change of address form was also a very pleasant experience. I was expecting a crotchety old man who didn't speak a word of English (I was told he didn't speak English). Instead, I was met with a sweet, smiling old man who kept saying any random English word he thought of. At least he was trying. I had a Czech woman from work on stand-by to call on the phone because I thought it would be complicated stuff, and we wouldn't be able to understand each other thereby triggering the aforementioned frustrated gesticulating. But as it turns out, he spoke German. So the transaction was completed (not that quickly, he is a rather old man and moves quite slowly) in a mixture of Czech and German. With the occasional 'glasses' and 'cousin' thrown in there.

No comments: