Saturday, December 11, 2010

Tales from the classroom

Last month I was teaching first graders family words. To get across the idea of Aunt, Uncle, and Cousins, I decided to use this picture:


The first thing I did was ask the kids to find me. Now, granted, I only teach two classes of first graders, so the sample size isn't that large, but still, in both classes this was their first guess:



My Uncle Jim. Evidently I look similar to a 50 year old man with a full beard and mustache who's like six and half feet tall. Good to know. The final product looked something like this:



And they still didn't figure out what Aunt, Uncle, and Cousins meant without the Czech teacher in the room saying it in Czech (which is technically illegal).

And finally, check out this little gem my co-worker Bryan and I made:

(I tried to embed it, but it didn't work. So you have to click here)

Merry Christmas!

No comments: