Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Reasons why I'm not ashamed to call myself a Christian and be Pro-choice

This is a response to a facebook wall debate that started as a call to political activism in support of federal funding for Planned Parenthood and ended as a mudslinging debate about abortion and atheism. Upon further inspection, I'm happy to see that for the most part, people responded with well thought-out opinions, but there was some uncalled-for blatant disrespect for any opinion that doesn't agree with one's own. Abortion is an extremely controversial issue and I'm not trying to convince anyone either way, I am simply explaining my own beliefs.

In a perfect world, there would be no need for abortion. Everyone would practice safe sex (thanks to free access to a variety of forms of birth control which would work 100% of the time)in stable relationships capable of withstanding a crisis pregnancy. It goes without saying that the world we live in is far from perfect. The 'you made your bed, now lie in it' attitude that is present in anti-abortion arguments such as 'you shouldn't have had sex if you weren't prepared for the chance you could get pregnant' is unfair in my opinion. It only takes takes one time to get pregnant. One time does not make a woman some floozy who goes around having tons of casual sex and using abortion as her own only form of birth control. (Before you point me towards an example of women who behave like this, I'm sure you can find some. Unfortunately it is a sad part of human nature that people are selfish and lazy. You can neither change nor control everyone, and it's no reason to get rid of an organization that is otherwise useful to millions of other people in need.) No two people's situations are the same so even if one woman deals with an unplanned pregnancy one way, it doesn't mean her choice is what is best for the next woman. Again, in my opinion it is unfair to assume such things and then tell someone else what to do.

Now to bring religion into the mix. Clearly murder and adultery are sins. Now we're left with the debate of whether or not abortion constitutes murder. For the sake of simplicity, let's say it does. (Though I don't think it should legally be defined as murder, but that's a whole different debate.) (Jeremiah 1:5 "Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you...) So there we go. It's sin. Big surprise there. But we can't stop there. Divorce, lying, using the Lord's name in vain, having an impure thought about another person, all of these things are also sins. In case you haven't figured in out, we all sin. Everyday. And sin is sin. It has no magnitude. If you break one commandment, you are just as guilty as breaking them all. (James 2:10) This is what makes the story of Jesus so awesome. In the eyes of God, we're all sinners. No one is any more or less of a sinner than the next person. I am not capable of condemning someone to hell, nor am I in any position to judge. And neither are you. I don't believe a woman should have to be punished for the rest of her life for one mistake. Especially because this can have ill effects on the children and our society.

Abortion is not going to go away. If we drive it underground, it gets extremely dangerous for the women involved. There is no universal 'right decision'. This doesn't mean I think every unplanned pregnancy should end in abortion. I certainly do not think that and neither do the people at Planned Parenthood. I just think we are in no place to judge other people and do not have the right to take away resources they may need to live a fulfilling life.

As a Christian I don't consider it my responsibility to convince everyone I meet to think the same why as I do. You can point out bible verses to me about how we are supposed to stop people from sinning, and to that I call shenanigans. That's impossible. I strive to love and serve others. This means I will not judge you and tell you to act a certain 'right' way. I will be there for you if you need any thing. My only hope is that you do the same to me.

1 comment:

From Chicago with Love said...

I want to defend Europeans! Since you didn't :-)

Europeans are not some smelly, hairy, gross people...
They are just humans like you and me that talk funny that's all... It is wrong to assume their country... I'm sorry continent... is terribly different than ours in America... I'm sorry... United States of America... don't want to offend our South American friends (who didn't come up in this debate, but I like to be pro-active!)

So yea, Europeans talk funny and wear the occasional Speedo, but their sense of humor is good! They give us history, a sense of culture, and that wonderful game of soccer (at least perfected it!) not to mention golf...and for all that I say 'thank you Europeans... I can't wait to visit again and help 'stimulate' your 'economy' because let's be real here... we all can use a little stimulation! :-)

Peace