Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Die Kirche Jesu Christi der Heiligen der Letzten Tage

I got stopped on the way home today by a couple of Elders (ironically, these are young people, that's just their title when there doing this thing again) for the Church of Latter Day Saints. I actually had quite a conversation with them. It went something like this:

Elder Lang: Entschuldigung, haben Sie ueber das Buch von die Kirche Jesu Christi der Heiligen der Letzten Tage. (Excuse me, have you heard about the book of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints)
Me: Wie, bitte? (what?)
Elder Lang: repeats the first sentence
Me: Oh, Ja. (Oh, Yes)
Elder Lang: Wirklich? Was haben Sie gehoert? (Really? What have you heard?)
Me: Viele. Ich komme aus der USA - (A lot. I'm from the US-)
Elder Lang: Oh really? Where? I'm from L.A.

and the conversation preceeded in English. We got into quite a religious debate. They want me to come to this thing they're having on Thursday. Ironically, I'm more skeptical of going to their thing than I was to go to the meetings with people I met on the internet. They're very nice and smoothe talkers, which is think is what makes me so skeptical.

3 comments:

davb said...

Yeah, they can be smooth talkers. They'll try to agree with you and make you feel good about them and you until you get down to the nitty-gritty about the faith. If you say that Jesus has paid the price for our sins in full, then they must differ and things deteriorate quickly. That's been my experience. I'd stay away. They're tenacious.

Ashley said...

Ha ha ha oh Mormons. They sucked good old Trevor in at one point, but he quickly saw the error of his ways. I've been around them quite a few times. They're quite nice, although they don't seem human because they won't show you any weaknesses or mistakes, it seems. But you should go, as I'm sure you've already found out, it's fun to ask them questions when they contradict themselves and watch them try and smooth talk their way out of it.

From Chicago with Love said...

I like how you forget English now that you are in Germany: "which is think is what makes me so skeptical." I guess you mean 'I' but then maybe it's differnet over there!?