Thursday, September 25, 2008

Oktoberfest

I've started several entries about my trip to Oktoberfest, but for some reason, I'm just not in the creative writing mindset to give an accurate description. Here's a lame and pretty boring version:

On Sunday after the Blasorchester preformance I rode down to München. Now that the trip is over, I can tell you how I got there, since this is probably one of those things that Mom would rather hear about after it happened so she doesn't worry. In Germany (and many other parts of western europe) they have something called Mitfahrgelegenheit which is where people are driving somewhere, and they offer the other seats in their car. It's much cheaper than any other form of transportation. It cost me € 30 to get to München and € 28 to get back. This is something Paul told me about and I did a google search for it and found several different websites.

The ride down was legitimately just a lady who was driving down to München in her little car and offered the other three seats if people wanted to ride along. And they were all full. The driver was a 27 year old actress going to München to film something for TV. She was very nice and obviously offered her ride because she liked the company because she kept the conversation going the entire time. The guy in the passenger seat was 31 and in some sort of experimental electronic rock band. He lives in Berlin but was originally from München. He talked to me in English during the breaks and rambled on and on in the car. I sat in the back with a 24 year old who had recently had a baby. It was quite a trip.

The way back was more roomy, but also much more quiet. Glen rode along this time and everyone kept to themselves and just wanted to get back to Berlin. This guy ran this van service as a business every week day from München to Berlin. There were 9 people including the driver.

Oktoberfest itself was pretty much how I'd imagined it. The beer tents are like any Brauhaus you go to in München only they squeeze in twice as many tables, so you're literally sitting back to back and you have to climb on the benches and over people to get out to go to the bathroom. And they have a brass band playing starting at noon. The frequency of Ein Prosit increases dramatically as the night goes on. (of course, so does ones awareness of how fast time is passing, so it probably seems worse than it is). I'll give more details later if I'm so inspired.

No comments: