Sunday, September 21, 2008

Success!

Simone, the Australian, is a genius. Simone is a guy here from Australia who is also in the Blasorchester. He plays the Baritone here, but trumpet is his main thing. I was talking to him about my situation with the fingerings this morning before the concert. And apparently, sometimes they switch the trigger. So that everything not with the trigger is the B flat fingerings, and everything with the trigger is in F. So all I have to do is switch when I use the trigger, or always use the trigger and play with mellophone fingerings. (which is what I did cause it's the easiest) This also explains why went I took out the valve pipes to empty the spit, it was backwards from the one in the states. When you take out the tubes you have to depress the valve or it creates a vacuum or something, and usually the top tubes are the single valves and the bottom is the valve plus trigger. On this horn, it's the opposite, and that's apparently because the trigger is the opposite of what I'm used to. My playing was much more successful today then at the concert.

The concert itself was about 45 minutes long at some horticulture place. We didn't tune, and he just called out the tunes 2 at a time before we played them. So it's really laid back. We do however, have uniforms: a white polo shirt with the name and logo on it, and a maroon sweatshirt with the same logo for when it's cold. Which it is already. The playlist consisted of the following:
Puttin' on the Ritz
ABBA Gold
A Billy Joel Portrait
Miss Marples Theme
Die verrueckten 20er Jahre
Udo Juerfens Live
Amsel-Polka
Dankeschoen - Heinz Ruehmann - during which we all stood up and sang "Ein Freund, ein guter Freund" and by we, I mean they sang, and I stood there

But, I'm doing my research. It's the chorus to this song.

There was another song, but I didn't have it and had to share and therefore don't remember the name. But it was a hogdepodge of a bunch of american songs. And we're not talking a medley, it was like a reckognizable line from a Burt Bacharach song and then all of the sudden a line from deck the halls and then a sousa march. It was weird.

No comments: